Chelsea will be desperate to keep the pressure on Premier League title rivals Liverpool and Manchester City when they face Brighton on Wednesday night.
The Blues came from behind to secure a vital 3-1 win over Aston Villa on Boxing Day, while Graham Potter’s side eased to a 2-0 victory over Brentford.
However, Chelsea – who were already suffering with a succession of absentees – saw Thiago Silva and N’golo Kante forced off with injuries at Villa Park.
Thomas Tuchel’s men, though, do return to Stamford Bridge for the first time in four in all competitions having only lost one Premier League home game this season.
This Premier League clash will take place on Wednesday, December 29.
It will be held at Stamford Bridge and will kick off at 7:30pm.
Chelsea v Brighton: Team news
Chelsea are set to miss both Silva and Kante following their Boxing Day injuries, with the pair joining long-term absentee Ben Chilwell on the sidelines.
COVID-affected German duo Kai Havertz and Timo Werner both remain doubts but Ruben Loftus-Cheek may be in line for a return.
Romelu Lukaku should be in line to start up front after his second-half exploits as a substitute in the win over Villa.
Brighton are sweating on the fitness of Leandro Trossard following the Belgian’s withdrawal against Brentford with a tight hamstring.
The Seagulls are already without Jeremy Sarmiento, Lewis Dunk and Steven Alzate for the trip to London.
Joel Veltman is also a doubt but influential midfielder Yves Bissouma is back from a ban to reclaim his spot in the middle of the park.
Read Also: Arsenal Boss: Mikel Arteta Sets to Miss Man City Clash Due To Covid-19
Chelsea v Brighton: Match facts
- Chelsea have never lost a league game against Brighton, winning 10 and drawing two of their 12 games. It’s the most the Blues have faced an opponent without ever losing in their league history.
- Brighton have never scored in six away league games against Chelsea (D1 L5), with last season’s 0-0 draw their first ever point at Stamford Bridge. In English Football League history, only two sides have ever faced a side more often on the road without scoring – Bradford Park Avenue vs Leyton Orient (8) and Barrow vs Northampton Town (7).
- Having lost eight of their first 12 Premier League away games in London (W2 D2), Brighton have lost just three of their last 13 visits to the capital in the competition (W2 D8).
- Brighton have never led in eight Premier League meetings with Chelsea. In the competition’s history, only two sides have faced another more without leading for a single minute – Sheffield United against Manchester City (10) and Portsmouth against Chelsea (14).
- Chelsea have lost their final league game in just one of the last 18 calendar years (W12 D5), losing 3-1 at home to Aston Villa in 2011.
- Brighton lost their final league game of 2020 (0-1 vs Arsenal), last losing such games in consecutive calendar years in 2011 and 2012.
- Chelsea have shipped five goals in their last four Premier League home games, more than they had in their previous nine combined (4).
- The Blues haven’t gone five league games without a clean sheet at Stamford Bridge since April 2017.
- Brighton have lost just once away from home in the Premier League this season (W2 D5), having lost each of their last three on the road in the 2020-21 campaign. However, the Seagulls are winless in their last six away league games, having won their first two this season.
- Chelsea have scored 3+ goals in nine different Premier League games so far this season, with only Liverpool (10) doing so more often than the Blues.
- Chelsea midfielder Jorginho has scored 10 Premier League penalties in 2021, a record in a single calendar year in the competition. Meanwhile, of players to have netted at least 10 Premier League goals, the Italian has scored the highest share from the penalty spot (89% – 17/19).